b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Frank Matheus" <post AT matheus.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:41:10 +0100

Dear Rolf & all,

could we agree in the following?

1 Tense is a deictic phenomenon as it concerns the communicational activity of a deictic center resp. deictic community

2 Aspects are a non-deictic phenomenon as they concern the internal temporal structure of an uttered text.

But I think we disagree in this:

3 Tenses refer  to a specific point in or certain sphere of time.

In many cases they do, but very often they don't. E.g. the English present tense can be found in all three time stages, but no one doubts its tense character. The main feature of a "tense" is to be deictic, i.e. to allocate a proposition in a text, which as a whole has a time reference. E.g. in the sentence "Tomorrow Santa Claus is coming into town" the finite verb does not point to a specific time; this job is done by the adverb. Seen from this angle, the verbal form ("is coming") contradicts the time reference of the adverb, as it pretends to be part of the hic et nunc of the speaker. The adverb overrules the tense, and so we don't sense any contradiction. The same is true for a sentence like "Are you dating someone?" which refers to the past and to the future, but not, as the verbal form suggests, to the present tense.

A lot of languages don't express tense in their finite verbal forms, but that does not indicate necessarily that these languages are aspectual - they might as well say nothing about the internal temporal structure of a text. Those structures arise - and here I agree with you - by analyzing the semantic properties of a verbal phrase (which I call event structure) in regard to its context (which is pragmatic, as someone has uttered it). But these observations do not falsify  the deictic character of the verbal forms of Biblical Hebrew.

I have discussed these problems in my study "Ein jegliches hat seine Zeit", 2011, KUSATU.B 1, which contains an extensive English summary.

Frank Matheus,

Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew,

University of Münster, Germany