b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] [ b-hebrew] gen 28 sulam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] [ b-hebrew] gen 28 sulam
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:12:12 -0800 (PST)

   Hi Nir,

   You wrote:

  > most nouns in most ancient languages do not have a proven source within
the dialect, nor can be established as loan words. <

   On what grounds did you make this statement?

   Further you stated:

  > in hebrew i will mention  $ULXAN (table), KOBA (hat), TEBA (arc), E$
(fire), NKD (grandson), NYN (great grandson), ZRT (pinky), BHN (toe), R($
(head), YD (hand),  )BN (stone)
etc. only by cross-reference with other dialects can this be validated.<

   Here you lost me completely: some of your examples are common Semitic,
e.g.  The words for head, and hand. Further, did you ever ask yourself why E$
(Fire), is feminine in Hebrew? Look it up in Akkadian where it is Ishatu -
the f. marker 'T' is very much there.

   Nothing to add about the linguisticallly shaky ladder. Shaky only
linguistically, we saw how well it served Jacob.

   Uri Hurwitz