b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] SLM: Jacob's "ladder"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.orglist list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] SLM: Jacob's "ladder"
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:29:43 -0500

1. This is how I see it in my dream: A pulley wheel גלגלת GALGELET is securely attached to
the gate of heaven. A rope is slung over the top wheel with two baskets, סלים SALIYM,
tied to it, one to the left and one to the right, as in a scale מאזנים MOZNAIYM. An angel
(or a thousand) sits himself in each basket so as to hold the system in equilibrium
(assuming angels are affected by gravitation.) As one basket comes up, the other
basket easily goes down, and a constant traffic is thus maintained with little effort in
transporting the angels in both directions.

An angel that likes it here (having glimpsed one of בנות האדם BNOT HA-ADAM) better
than there, may substitute a stone of equal weight in his place.

2. As for the "Hurrian" $ilum, meaning “something that allows (pleasant) relations to occur”,
methinks that the Hebrew word for it is, curiously enough, not שילום $IYLUM, but
rather אתנן ETNAN. See Deut. 23:17.

Isaac Fried, Boston University