b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] סולם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.orglist" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] סולם
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:21:56 -0500

1. I think that the Hebrew root (or verb) represents a fixed, rather than an ongoing,
state ––– the Hebrew root is a picture, not a movie. So, SALSAL (as well as TALTAL,
ZALZAL, CALCAL, $AL$AL) is 'to be mound-like', not 'to lift upward'. Nothing is
drawn upward, it just factually protrudes. A סלע SELA, 'rock', like צלע CELA, 'rib', is not drawn upward,
but merely sticks up.

2. It is possible that SULM is plural for SAL, 'basket', and that SULAM is kind of a
basket elevator. Today we call SULAM a ladder.

3. I don't think that צלם CELEM, 'image', has anything to do with צל CEL, 'shadow'.
Such "horizontal" relationships between words are, in my opinion' nonexistent in Hebrew.

4. There is no such thing as a "suspension of hostilities", but there is slumping,
lounging or lolling, instead of madly hopping around with sword in hand.

5. As far as I can recall several  interpreters of the Hebrew bible think that
the תלם TELEM  is indeed the mound, the תל TEL, of earth piled up along
the חריץ XARIYC or חריש XARIY$, 'the groove', made by the מחרשה MA-XRE$AH, the plow.

 Isaac Fried, Boston University