b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fwd: Daniel 70 weeks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Samuel Nunez <samuelnunez1973 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Daniel 70 weeks
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:45:54 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 22, 2012 10:30:50 AM PDT
Subject: Daniel 70 weeks

George,

For some reason my response to the list did not go through. I have made some changes in hopes of making my points clearer to readers on this list.

I believe the text of Dan 9:25-27 divides the 70 weeks into 7 weeks, 62 weeks, and 1 week to point out that several important events will take place during this (70 week or 490 year) time span. In other words the division of the 70 weeks points to smaller periods of time that in themselves function as event markers, either at the beginning, end or middle of each segment of time.

These are the events I find in the text:

1) The text points out that the first period will last 7 weeks or 49 years, making it our first marker of the total 70 week period. This time period begins with the edict to reconstruct Jerusalem.
2) The next time period (62 weeks or 434 years) follows the 7 week period and culminates with the appearance of the Messiah.
3) After the 62 week time period, we note that there is a 1 week period (7 years) left to complete the 70 weeks. The text indicates that in the middle of the week sacrifices and offerings cease.  The text also indicates that after the 62 week period, or in the 1 week time period, the anointed one is killed.

We notice that each time period marks its events differently. We also notice that in order for these periods to reach a total of 70 weeks or 490 years they cannot overlap or have a gap between them that subtract or add to the total amount of time alloted.

Regarding the use of the numbers 7 weeks and 62 weeks and 1week, the only significance I can see in these specific numbers is in relation to the Jubilee year (49 years) and the Sabbatical year (7 years). These two numbers were symbols of rest for the land, freedom from debt and also served as a memorial of the Creator's and Redeemer's rightful ownership of all things (Lev. 25:2, 9, 10, 25; see also Deut. 15:12). The 62-week period is the time period left between these two highly significant numbers in the Jewish economy, and is used to mark the appearing of the Messiah at the end of this time period.

Cheers,

Samuel Nunez