b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] TWLDT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] TWLDT
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:10:30 -0700

Dear All:

In a previous discussion, it was claimed that אולדת TWLDT meant
“generations” and was so translated by the KJV. But is that right?

In a quick, electronic search, I found that the term is used in fewer than
30 verses, 12 of which are in Numbers 1. None of the verses I found had to
be translated as “generation”, rather all of them could be translated with
the idea of bringing forth, presenting.

We could be dealing with the KJV is presently not understood, with
“generation” having had a different meaning then.

Further complication: the word for “generation” is דור DWR used in more
than 60 verses, with several verses having more than one use of the term.
So there is no need for אולדת TWLDT to be used for “generation”.

So what I see now, there is no reason to translate אולדת TWLDT using the
modern meaning of “generation”. Not in a single use.

Karl W. Randolph.

  • [b-hebrew] TWLDT, K Randolph, 08/30/2012