b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 2 Chr. 13:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, biblicalist AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 2 Chr. 13:7
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:05:50 +0300

Hello all,

According to Abijah's speech in 2 Chr. 13:7, Jeroboam was joined by אנשים
רקים בני בליעל, which I would translate literally as "empty men, sons of no
worth". The KJV, following the Vulgate, translates "vain men, the children of
Belial". More modern translations have "worthless scoundrels" (NRSV),
"riffraff and scoundrels" (NJPS) and the like.

However the LXX has, <http://lexicon.katabiblon.com/?search=??????> ἄνδρες
<http://lexicon.katabiblon.com/?search=??????> λοιμοὶ
<http://lexicon.katabiblon.com/?search=????> υἱοὶ
<http://lexicon.katabiblon.com/?search=?????????> παράνομοι. "Paranomoi",
"lawless", or "outlaw" for "beli-ya'al" I get. But where does "lomoi",
"pestilent", come from? How does that translate "reqim"?

Thank you and excuse the cross-posting.

Yigal Levin

The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

Department of Jewish History