b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Confusion of Hebrew Numbers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Confusion of Hebrew Numbers
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:30:03 -0700

Sergio:

While I recognize that there are some typos, there should be no problem
with most numbers. Some of those numbers listed in the article to which you
linked are explainable from a careful reading of their contexts.

The term for heavily armed professional soldier was “hoplite” הפלתי.

I think some of the perplexity can also be traced back to presuppositions
that may not be accurate, such as Kitchen’s dating that hides the effect of
the Exodus on Egyptian society. Because he cannot find any evidence for the
Exodus as recorded in Exodus during the reigns of the pharaohs who he
thinks reigned during that time, therefore the Exodus must have been much
smaller than recorded. But if one admits that those dates are incorrect,
then the destruction of Egyptian society that occurred just before the
Hyksos invasion connected with sudden exit of “Asiatic” slaves from their
work places, then one finds external evidence for those numbers connected
with the Exodus.

There is a common modern belief that population and technology have had a
generally upward trend throughout history, but history seems to belie that,
indicating that there were times of population decrease and with it
technological decline (not enough population to maintain technology). The
large numbers listed in ancient records are possible.

“A thousand” was an administrative unit in ancient Israel, so a translation
of “family” or “clan” seems incorrect. Did such an administrative unit
count only men, or each member of a family, to reach 1000 members? That I
don’t know.

As I stated at the top, though there may have been a few typos, on the
whole it appears that the numbers as recorded are trustworthy.

Karl W. Randolph.