b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Mapiq

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Mapiq
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:25:22 -0700 (PDT)

   The Mapiq in some final 'He' letters in the Heb. bible indicates that
these are a fully pronounced consonants .
   This can be concluded from  Arabic forms such as "beha". Notice the
vowelled ...ha. The final vowell Alif ( = Aleph ) is the marker of all 3.f.s.
pronominal suffixes in Arabic.
   This can further be observed in the the qamatz under the 'He' in all
3.f.plural Heb. declensions : e.g..   "dodeyha" "suseyha" .

   Since the Massoretes marked such forms with a Mapiq, they heard in their
time the distinction in pronounciation between the regular 'He' at the end of
a word, say, "Na(arah" (girl), and - on the other hand -  "Lah(.)" (to her).

   Uri Hurwitz                          Wilmington VT

Hi Berel,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:35:30 -0400, Berel Beyer <berelbeyer at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wonder if I could impose upon you for help pointing me in the right
> direction.  I understand that there are people who claim that the
> masoretes intended the mappiq he to be an orthographic distinction
> rather than one of actual pronunciation.  Can anyone point me to an
> article (for a non-expert like myself) that summarizes the argument?

I have seen that claim also, but have never seen any evidence to back
it up.  Until I see such, I think the most natural course is to take
the mappiq at face value, and take it to indicate a pronounced [h] at
the end of a word.

--
William Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.

  • [b-hebrew] Mapiq, Uri Hurwitz, 06/20/2012