b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: nebarry AT verizon.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Transliteration
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:45:24 -0400

Hi Barry,

Just in case it isn't clear, there are two issues: having a font with the
necessary characters, and being able to input them in Word. Most fonts
don't quite have everything necessary for academic Hebrew transliteration.
One very nice Unicode option which I think should do the trick would be
SIL's Gentium Plus (
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium ) - though it
only comes in normal and italics, not bold. (And I agree with Daniel -
nowadays, I would only consider using Unicode fonts.)

In terms of inputting the right characters, you can do things like type
hexadecimal codes, or install a special keyboard. A different keyboard will
simply map the keys you type to a different range of Unicode characters
(assuming your current font has them). However, if you're not going to be
typing a lot of transliterated Hebrew, perhaps the simplest option in Word
is just to insert characters using the built-in character map (in Word
2007, it's Insert -> Symbol -> More Symbols).

Hope that helps.

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile