b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax Workbooks
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:22:37 -0700

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:

> James:
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:09 AM, James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com
> >wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Please be aware that the copy on Scribd is an unauthorized copy. If you
> > use it, you are breaking copyright.
> >

> Are you sure? You should send the information to the publisher to make
> sure. Occasionally publishers release books for download, long before the
> copyright normally would run out.

Uh, James/Eisenbrauns *is* the publisher. So I suspect he'd know ;-)

> > I like to eat, so please purchase a copy--or check it out of the library,
> > if you don't want to purchase it.
> >

> The book has been mentioned several times on this list, but now that I have
> seen it, I am not impressed. But then my main interest is in learning, and
> teaching, Biblical Hebrew to the best of my understanding, not in being a
> scholar in what all these other people said about the language (much, if
> not most, of which is wrong, at least of the sections I have seen so far).
> Hence I would not buy it for myself, nor recommend it for students whose
> interest is, like mine, merely the reading and understanding the text in
> its original languages.
>
> I do own it and have used it to some extent. My gripe is that it claimed
to be based on modern linguistics, but if you read the introduction
carefully, it doesn't use generative, lexical-functional, discourse, or any
of the other modern linguistic approaches. It uses structuralism, which was
passe 50 years ago. This is their definition of "modern." They're still
back on descriptive linguistics and haven't graduated to explanatory
linguistics yet. I found that baffling.

--
Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingsplace.us