b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Haggai 1,8
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:56:56 +0100 (CET)

Dear Carl, Donald and George,

I want to thank each one of you for responding to my request. Your answers
are importand to me.

I studied other instances of Imperatives followed by Waw-Perfect meanwhile
and I think you, George, hit the nail on the head. It seems that the force
of the Imperative influences the Waw-Perfect. My initial idea was to treat
both forms seperatly with a note of purpose concerning the Waw-Perfect: I
thought it was the divine intention to bring the people to go up to the
mountain(s) and bring wood to the temple building process, that's why I
suggested "in order to" for the relation between the two verb forms.

If you have further thoughts on that I'd be glad to hear them, as I want
to learn more.

Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany