b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:22:19 +0000

That's a really good comment, Dave! I'm glad you posted it.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia

From: Dave Washburn
<davidlwashburn AT gmail.com<mailto:davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:20:12 -0700
To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>>
Subject: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

I would narrow this down to say that, yes, it's biblical Hebrew, and yes,
there are discernible syntactic patterns to biblical Hebrew. But we
shouldn't spend too much time trying to explain "exceptions" if they appear
in poetry, because poetry in all languages I've ever looked at (12 or so)
will often produce "exceptions" deliberately.