b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:00:47 +0000

Yes, Galia's term modus irrealis captures the sense of the Yiqtol well for
the most part. I'm not sure it's the best term for understanding the habitual
past action that the Yiqtol can often convey, but it is a very good term,
nonetheless.

I wouldn't equate the Weqatal with this, however. Weqatal is simply a
continuation or adjunct verb, much like the participle in Greek. In my
opinion it's actually just a Qatal with a plain conjunction on the front. The
conjunction does something important syntactically, but the verb as a whole
does not, in my estimation, convey modus irrealis. If it does, the Qatal
itself must also convey modus irrealis. But it doesn't.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia