b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] suffixes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "R. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] suffixes
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:47:28 -0500

As was already posted, the comparative Semitic data shows that the hishtafel
binyan was in existence in ancient Hebrew. The only surviving member by the
time the Hebrew Bible was written (whenever that was!) is this verb. The root
is only in question if you refuse to accept the comparative data--which is
like saying that English doesn't have any French or Latin words in it!

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com