b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Atem, the plural form as a sign of respect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Atem, the plural form as a sign of respect
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 01:21:53 -0800

This thread reminded me of something I read long ago in Rashis
commentary one Genesis 29:27

and we will give to you: [This is] a plural expression, similar to
(above 11;3, 7), “Let us descend and confuse” ; “and let us fire
them.” This, too, is an expression of giving.

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I think, David, that it would be better that someone who is Jewish or whose
> mother tongue is Hebrew gives an answer to your question.
> But to my mind...  the plural form of the personal pronoun is not used as a
> sign of respect or reverence in the Hebrew language.
> Remark that when directly addressing to God, the Bible uses the singular
> form: look for instance at Ps 51:3
>
> Kind regards
>
> Pere Porta
>

> 2012/1/2 Sevillano Hispalis <sevillanomail AT yahoo.com>
>
>> Well, I was thinking of hebrew in a general way because of my ignorance,
>>
>> I didn't think there would be any example in the hebraic bible.
>>
>> The second person plural form when referring to one person as a sign of
>> respect.
>>

>> Thank you for your response, mister Porta.
>>
>> David Sevilla, Spain.
>>

>> ________________________________
>>
>> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Atem, the plural form as a sign of respect
>>

>> Are you thinking, David, of biblical Hebrew (as, for instance, in Jdg
>> 19:20) or of Hebrew in a general way?
>>
>> Pere Porta
>> (Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)
>>

> --
> Pere Porta

Joseph Roberts ( UCC 1-308)
THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF THE
INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND INTENDED, AND MAY
CONTAIN PRIVILEDGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION THAT IS COVERED BY
THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT (18 USC §§ 2510-2521). IF
YOU ARE NOT THE INTENED RECIPIENT OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER THE
MESSAGE TO THE INTENEDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR;
PLEASE NOTIFY JOSEPHROBERTS3 AT GMAIL.COM IMMEDIATELY BY EMAIL AND DELETE
THE ORIGINAL AND COPIES OF MESSAGE. ALL INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL MAY
BE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT AND TRADE MARK LAW DOMESTICALLY AND
INTERNATIONALLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED INTERNATIONALLY, U.C.C 1-207/
U.C.C. 1-308