b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] -WN

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] -WN
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:55:05 -0300

Karl,

with respect to the WN-ending, i think that the english ending -ness or -ity
etc is more befitting. another point i raise here is association with the verb
form. i refer to some of your examples.

>>> It seems to me that when Hebrew adds a suffix ון -WN to a verb, that that
changes the verb to a noun having the meaning -ing that action. By
extension, that can include the object or person doing that action.

able vs ability, fit vs fitness. HIKHSHIR-KASHER-KISHARON

mad/crazy vs madness/craziness. ShIGE(A-MESHUGA(-ShIGA(ON

> When looking at this question, we need to be careful not to include verbs
> that have ון as part of the verbal root, such as און, כון, לון, etc. or
> loan words from other languages such as נשתון, רשיון, etc.

is NShTWN hebrew ????????????

i would include HIRShAH-RAShAY-RIShYON (permitted vs permit)
ZIKAH-ZAKAY-ZIKAYON. DIRDER-???-MIDRON

nir cohen

  • [b-hebrew] -WN, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat., 12/26/2011