b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:42:58 -0800

> Randall:
>
> Before we go further, you need to define which books you count as preexilic,
> and those you count as postexilic, and why?
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Go right ahead and make your own list. There will be a few disagreements,
e.g. you think that the Bible demands that Qohelet is FirstTemple, I don't and
I don't date it FirstTemple. But there are plenty of agreed SecondTemple
books like Zexarya, Mlaxi, Haggai, NeHemya, `ezra, Divre-ha-yamim,
DSS, BenSira.

PS for David Steinberg
I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read through Bendavid's
Lehon Miqra ulshon Haxamim volumes. they sit on my selves with not a
few notes and side(under)lining.
When talking about a high register Hebrew
(exemplified in LateBH and most DSS) and a
low register Hebrew (exemplified in lapses within the high register and
a few pre-mishnaic docs plus quotes of the zugot and tannaim) there is
plenty of room for dialectical and idiosyncratic diversity.

Randall Buth
--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com