b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:47:08 -0700 (PDT)

Uzi,

You were, unintentionally, unfair to Yigal.

To unswer your main questions he would have to drop
all his other activities and spend forty days and
forty nights answering, and still would not do full
justice to the subject.

While everything you mentioned is right, you forgot
a major common thread in the many references to God
in the HB -- YHWH's intolerance of other gods. Of course
like any other statement in the humanities, this one
too has exceptions.

Kol Tuv,

Ezov Haqyr (hakir),

Uri Hurwitz Great Neck, NY

Yigal,

several koosheeyot:

I know they were monotheists, but I even a tiny talmid such as I knows
that the notion of monotheism shifted over the 1000 years of writing
of the tanach, from the early anthropomorphic depictions and
mythological imageries in the torah and tehilim, to the impersonal
distant deity depicted in the later books. seems to me the editors
left in much apikorsut in the scripture...

1) Do you have any notions on this 'complex issue' you raise of who it
is being addressed? these anonymous ones would presumably be identical
to those being referred to with respect to 'betzalmeinu'.

2) why does elohim have to be singular? isnt el or eloha the singular of
elohim?

3) this begets the following question: does 'eloha' = 'el'? or is it
the case that eloha means
'el shel', as it may be in 'eloha Yaakov'?

thank you,

Uzi Silber