b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andronic Khandjani <andronicusmy AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:13:27 +0300

We usually renders Genesis 3:22 by "" Behold, the man is become as one of
us, to know good and evil", a targum translates mimenou by "by himself" and
the mim and the lam may suggest some motion. Mim may suggest subtraction and
lam adhesion. Eva is not even mentioned but only Adam.

Is it possible that k'ehad refer to the unity of Genesis 2.24, if so Adam
refers here to the humanity and we may render the verse like this:
"The human became as one by their own initiative through the knowledge of
good and evil"?
.
Firouz Khandjani

Pleven, Bulgaria