b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael: "Male Ibex"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Heber's Wife Jael: "Male Ibex"?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:52:36 -0400

You are right that biblical names are certainly meaningful, but:

1. I suspect that much is lost by clever editorial tendentious manipulations.
2. It may not mean what you think it was intended to mean, just by being written like a known word, a combination of words (look-a-son), or seemingly containing a recognizable root.
3. I agree that Isaac may have the last laugh.

Isaac Fried, Boston University