b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yamin -South (was: Names of Rachel's etc.)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yamin -South (was: Names of Rachel's etc.)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 18:53:37 -0400

The ending -IYN may be a plural marking. She called her son BEN-ONIY, the son of my youth, and he called him BINYAMIYN, the son of my (many) days. I estimate that RAXEL was about 5 years old (proof: she was still single) when YAAQOB first set eyes on her.

What an ancient Hebrew name harbors is a riddle. Rest assured (by me) that $IMON has nothing to do with 'hear', that LEVIY (EL-ABIY?) has nothing to do with 'accompany', and that $IM$ON has nothing to do with 'sun'.

Notice that the letter L (for EL?) is found in the names of all his four wives: Leah, raxeL, biLhah, ziLpah.

Isaac Fried, Boston University