b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:20:25 -0700

Dear Jim,

Your calendrical analysis was years (?) ago shown to be very faulty. Be that
as
it may.

Dear George,

Below is an article from Dr. Claude Mariottini regarding the left-handedness
of
Benjamin.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

http://claudemariottini.org/2011/09/29/left-handedness-in-the-hebrew-bible/
Left-handedness in the Hebrew Bible
by Claude Mariottini

“The LORD raised up for them a deliverer, Ehud, the son of Gera, the
Benjaminite, a left-handed man” (Judges 3:15).

The statement that Ehud was a left-handed man and that he was from the tribe
of
Benjamin, is very significant. In fact, according to Judges 20:16, there were
seven hundred specially-trained men in the army of the tribe of Benjamin and
all
of them were left-handed. The text also says that “each one could sling a
stone
and hit even the smallest target.”

To explain this peculiarity and how left-handedness was seen not only in
Israel,
but also in other nations, I would like to introduce you to a long quote from
an
old commentary that seeks to explain the significance of left-handedness in
the
tribe of Benjamin.

The following comments were taken from John Peter Lange, A Commentary on the
Holy Scriptures, vol. 4 (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1871), 73-74.

He was a Ben-jemini, of the tribe of Benjamin, as the Targum expressly adds.
When the son of Jacob was born, his dying mother named him Benoni, “son of my
sorrow;” but his father, by way of euphemism, called him Ben-jamin, “son of
good
fortune” (Gen. 35:18).

Jamin came to signify “good fortune,” only because it designated the right
side.
The inhabitants of the Holy Land had the sea (yam) on the right, hence called
that side jamin, literally, “sea-side”; and the highlands of Aram on the left,
hence semol, “the left.” Different nations derived their expressions for right
and left from conceptions peculiar to themselves.

Thus δεξιός and dexter are based on the idea of showing, pointing, with the
right hand (δείκνυμι); sinister, from sinus, on the action of laying the right
hand on the side of the heart. The left hand has everywhere been regarded as
the
weaker, which, properly speaking, did not wield arms.

When oriental custom placed the stranger on the left, it assigned him the seat
of honor in so far as the left side seemed to be the weaker and less protected
(cf. Xenoph. Cyrop. viii. 4). From the idea of weakness, sprang such terms as
λαιός, laevus [Eng. left], because that side is harmless, smooth, and gentle.

Hence also the custom among Asiatic nations of inclining toward the left side,
and resting on the left hand, when seated: the right hand was thus left free.
It
was by a euphemism that the name of Jacob’s son was Ben-jamin. Among the
Greeks
also the “left” was euphemistically called εὐὠνυμος, good-omened, because it
was
wished to avoid the ominous ὰριστερός [“left”].

A similar custom must have obtained in Israel, since just in the tribe of
Benjamin there were, as we are informed (Judg. 20:16), large numbers of men
who,
like Ehud, were i. e. left-handed, — the sons of the right hand being thus
most
addicted to the use of the left. But for the very reason that it seems to have
been a habit of the tribe to use the left hand, it cannot be supposed that
אִטֵּ֖ר יַד־יְמִינ֑וֹ is meant to indicate lameness of the right hand.

The LXX felt this when they rendered the phrase by ὰμφιδἐξιος, “double
right-handed.” The same consideration influenced those more recent scholars
who
instanced the Homeric Asteropaeus, who fought with both hands. However, this
also contradicts the spirit of the narrative, and, as the peculiarity occurs
only in Benjamin, the name as well.

Those Ben-jemini, who, like Ehnd, use the left hand, do it in contrast with
others, who make use of the right without any lameness in the left. Thus, [it
might] be said of the Benjamites: that they are “good and for the most part
left-handed fighters, and do with the left hand whatever others do with the
right.”