b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Idiomatic phrases

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Idiomatic phrases
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:34:34 -0700

George:

The most common one I can think of is אבד )BD, to be(come) lost, often used
as a euphemism for to die in the same manner as we use “to pass away”.

Another is לון על to lodge a complaint, from the verb לון to lodge,
generally referring to a temporary stay such as overnight or a few days
though can be longer Pr 15:31, used of fat of sacrifices Ex 23:18, 34:25,
strength Job 41:14 (22)

I noticed a few others, but I don’t remember them off the top of my head.

Karl W. Randolph.