b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:03:57 -0700

Dear Yigal,

First, I do not have access to the Hebrew text at the present (any one know
of a
online source?). Martin Abegg, Jr. and I both learned Hebrew together at
Northwest Baptist Seminary under Dr. Richard D. Patterson (now at Liberty
Seminary) and Dr. Hermann A. Austel (died May 2011). Both were translators for
the NASB and NLT. Martin Abegg has seen the DSS and so, I going by what he is
saying at this time until I have an opportunity to see the texts themselves.
So,
I understand the fallacy that you are stating, but until I have access to the
manuscripts that is all I have to go on. At least, I was able to give Karl and
others have the DSS location of the Genesis 14 text in question.

Second, considering scribal practices of the Second Temple Period regarding
the
sacred text, I would not think that the scribes of the DSS would make that
kind
of updating unless it was in the margins. True, it is "possible" that does not
mean "probable." I am more inclined to follow the DSS = MT here unless the
evidence shows otherwise. Furthermore, if it cannot be determined one way or
there other, then we are dealing with hermeneutical issues which I will not
discuss since it is against list guidelines.

Third, at least there is a translation of the DSS manuscripts. It should have
been done years ago, but the IAA and their policies regarding the DSS hindered
publication, but I won't comment further since I may have come close to
violating list guidelines.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III