b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jimstinehart <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:13:37 +0200

Hi Jim

You said:
> However, could you please comment specifically as to whether or not, based
> on Hebrew grammar, Genesis 14: 4 could legitimately be interpreted to say
> and mean:  “…and Year 13 they rebelled”?
>
> If that is not possible in Hebrew grammar, could you explain why?
I see no reason why not, but I also see no difference in meaning
between "the 13th year" (according to most modern translations) and
"year 13" (your translation).
Year 13 of Queen Elizabeth's rule was also the 13th year of Queen
Elizabeth's rule... what I cannot see from the text is the far-ranging
historical and archaeological claims you make from such a small
difference (which might just as well be a transmission error in the
text).

Regards
Chavoux Luyt