b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] El: Common or Proper Noun?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] El: Common or Proper Noun?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:20:53 +0000

Kristian,

Please change the subject line so that people can follow what you are
actually responding to. Also remember to give your surname with your message.

I realised after I sent my last message that I was not clear enough. I should
have said that Ugaritic literature treats El as a proper noun, and this same
thing is confirmed in the biblical text when you often find El written
without an article.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia