b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Range of OT TC Methodologies?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Range of OT TC Methodologies?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 02:16:37 -0500

Well, Philip, you and Pere are persistent, I'll give you that much.

If we stray too much here, however, the moderators are going to tell us to
take it to one of the TC groups.

Here's an excerpt on the TC of the OT Hebrew text from the Dictionary for the
Theological Interpretation of the Bible (Craig G. Bartholomew, Daniel J.
Treier, and N. T. Wright Associate Editors). Maybe something either here or
in the bibliography that follows it will provide a spark that will help you
in some way:

The OT textual critic will be careful to assess a variety of aspects of the
NT quotation (form, introduction, selection, application, history, and
function) in the context of the range of developing interpretations in
intertestamental Judaism. The NT textual critic should be careful to look
beyond the confines of Christian manuscripts and developments in the early
church. One needs to assess the form and function of the text in the MT, LXX
and versions, Qumran, Samaritan Pentateuch, and Hellenistic Judaism in
Alexandria and elsewhere, and to view the NT’s use of OT texts as a part of
this larger stream of developing interpretations. What is shared with that
stream and what is uniquely Christian will come clearly into focus. The
textual critic, then, as full partner in the interpretative task, offers some
of the earliest and best data for the theological interpretation of Scripture.

Bibliography
Aland, K., and B. Aland. The Text of the New Testament, trans. E. F. Rhodes.
Eerdmans, 1987; Bauer, W. Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity,
trans. G. Strecker. Fortress, 1971; Black, D. A., ed. Rethinking New
Testament Textual Criticism. Baker, 2002; Ehrman, B. The Orthodox Corruption
of Scripture. Oxford University Press, 1993; Ehrman, B., and M. Holmes. The
Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research. Eerdmans, 1995; Epp, E.
J. “The Multivalence of the Term ‘Original Text’ in New Testament Textual
Criticism.” HTR 92 (1999): 245–81; Hort, F. J. A., and B. F. Westcott. The
New Testament in the Original Greek. Cambridge University Press, 1882;
Housman, A. “The Application of Thought to Textual Criticism.” In Selected
Prose, ed. J. Carter. Cambridge University Press, 1961; Jobes, K., and M.
Silva. Invitation to the Septuagint. Baker, 2000; Kilpatrick, G. The
Principles and Practice of New Testament Textual Criticism, ed. J. Elliott.
BETL 96. Louvain University Press/Peeters, 1990; Metzger, B. The Text of the
New Testament. 3d ed. Oxford University Press, 1992; Parker, D. The Living
Text of the Gospels. Cambridge University Press, 1997; Roberts, C.
Manuscript, Society and Belief in Early Christian Egypt. Oxford University
Press, 1979; Tov, E. Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible. 2d rev. ed.
Fortress/Royal Van Gorcum, 2001; Vanhoozer, K. Is There a Meaning in This
Text? Zondervan, 1998.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA