b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Abraham and Abimelech

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rob acosta <robacosta AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, STeinhart <jimstinehart AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Abraham and Abimelech
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:54:24 -0600

Brief note regarding the Genesis Apocryphon as an expanded version of Genesis
13:18
Jim stated he thought the Apocyrphon said Abraham traveled the world in
Genesis 13:18 and correctly claims no Scholar would make that claim...and
rejects the Apocryphon for this reason.
However, Jim apparently did not read the text very carefully as the
Apocryphon doesn't the claim Abrahamwent "around the world" but gives an
accurate representation of the lands settled by all of Abraham's seed..
The actual text describing Abraham's journey in the Apocryphon.
"And I, Abram, departed to travel about and see the land.' I began my journey
at the river Gihon and traveled along the coast of the sea until I came to
the Mountain of the Bull [Taurus]. I (Southern Turkey)Then I traveled from
the coast of the Great Salt Sea and journeyed towards the east by the
Mountain of the Bull, across the breadth of the land, until I came to the
river Euphrates. I journeyed along the Euphrates until I came to the Red Sea
in the east, and I traveled along the coast of the Red Sea until I came to
the tongue of the Sea of Reeds] which flows out from the Red Sea. Then I
pursued my way in the south until I came to the river Gihon, and returning, I
came to my house in peace and found all things prosperous there. I went to
dwell at the Oaks of Mamre'
God's original promise to Abraham Genesis 15:18
"In that same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, To thy seed
have I given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river
Euphrates:"
and Exodus23:31 "And I will fix your boundaries from the Red Sea to the
Mediterranean Sea, and from the eastern wilderness to the Euphrates River"
This clearly not a journey "around the world" as Jim, claims but a journey
around the original boundaries of Canaan and very possibly the land that
would go to Ishmael and Abraham's sons by Keturah.
The location of the river "Gihon" is only speculated...but given the fact we
know Abraham started from in Bethel it would belogical to assume the River
Jordan is the Gihon...it did have a flow equal to the present day Missouri at
the time.

Jewish traditions are clearly disdained by those such as Jim in favor of
the latest fad by "University Scholars", reflecting a clearbias, but the
Apocryphon, more than 2,000 years old, gives valuable insight into the
ancients view of the world that should not be so quickly dismissed.
Careful study is required, not a casual glance
Rob Acosta

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Abraham and Abimelech, rob acosta, 07/01/2011