b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Does the consecrated person die?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Does the consecrated person die?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:48:00 -0500

In a word, yes.

חרם is the key term here in 27:29, Karl, as it relates to your inquiry.

The textual referent is someone who is dedicated to the LORD in the sense of
being given over to destruction as a result of divine judgment.

Evidently, there were subcultures in the ANE that were so debauched and evil,
they posed a threat to surrounding nations in general and to the Israelites
in particular. God commanded that they be excised (a sort of radical surgery,
one might say).

Have you ever seen the TV sci-fi series FRINGE, produced by J.J. Abrams (who
did the most recent Star Trek movie)? The show is built on the
premise—suggested by theoretical quantum physics—that there are parallel
realities and multiverses. If God is infinite, He presumably has the
capability to envision all possible alternatives and outcomes in any given
set of circumstances. And there have been situations throughout salvation
history where certain people (or cultures, as in the case of the Canaanites)
evidently had to be destroyed—as horrible as that seems to us, with our
delicate 21st century sensitivities—in order to avoid even worse consequences.

So yes, Karl, I'd say the "consecrated" individual dies. The Hebrew text
certainly sounds that way: כל־חרם אשר יחרם מן־האדם לא יפדה מות יומת׃

Notice the interesting parallelism, presumably for the purpose of emphasis,
in the text: "devoted that he was devoted" (חרם אשר יחרם) juxtaposed with "to
die he must die" (מות יומת׃).

One example of this radical, surgical removal of evil would be the
Canaanites, as Wenham points out in his commentary on Leviticus (NICOT):

The ban (28–29)
Banning or devoting was a more solemn and irreversible vow than ordinary
dedication. Anyone or anything that was devoted to the Lord could not be
ransomed. It was usual to invoke the ban in wars against the native
inhabitants of Canaan. In divine judgment all Israel’s enemies and their
property were devoted to the Lord (e.g., Num. 21:2; Deut. 7:2; 1 Sam. 15). It
could also be used as a judicial sentence against idolaters (Exod. 22:19
[Eng. 20]; Deut. 13:16 [15]). It seems unlikely that ordinary Israelites
could pronounce such vows; only the recognized leaders had authority to
declare a death sentence.12

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA