b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tetragrammaton in Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mike Gockley <mike.gockley AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tetragrammaton in Aramaic?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:27:00 -0400

Hello All,

I don't see the tetragrammaton in Biblical Aramaic. In Targum Onkelos I see
it as יוי, however I don't see that in Jastrow and I'm not sure whether that
is a translation or a circumlocution or other type of reference to the
Hebrew form.

I'm interested to know if it was possible to commit blasphemy by pronouncing
the name (m. Sanhedrin 7.5) in any other language than Hebrew.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Mike Gockley

Clarks Summit, PA