b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] old testament gateway site question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <kirk AT grovescenter.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] old testament gateway site question
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:30:31 -0400

On 3/27/11 8:07 AM, kenneth greifer wrote:

> On b-hebrew's information page, they link to resources for biblical hebrew,
> and one link is to the old testament gateway. It seems like a very religious
> site that doesn't fit b-hebrew's rules about pushing religion on people.

The link was provided because the site has a large number of links that seemed
(to me, at least) useful and helpful to b-hebrew members, regardless of
religious commitment or lack thereof.

It's unreasonable to ask for "religiously neutral" websites given our subject
matter. B-Hebrew's rule against proselyting has to do with b-hebrew posts.
While
"religious", the OT Gateway seems to be a useful resource. I hope to add some
links to Jewish interpretation and study of the Hebrew Bible. Expect them to
be
religious, as well.

> Couldn't you have linked to Blue letter bible or some other site that is not
> so religious?

The Blue Letter Bible is hardly less "religious" than the OT Gateway. And it
has
far less value in terms of resources or links of interest to B-Hebrew members,
in my opinion. For those who desire a more "religiously neutral" site, start
with iTanakh.org. It is the best "index" site that I have found so far. It's
why
I put it first on the list.

Blessings,

Kirk