b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb construction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb construction
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 09:00:17 -0800

On 2 Mar 2011 at 16:20, Sébastien Louis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could someone explain how the terme is
> constructed and on what it is based? The sentence is (Ex 1, 1):
>

> I guess it comes from the article "ha" and the verb "ba" (to come)
> and means "coming" or "who came". If so, what kind of construction
> is this? And why is there noun plural (-im) on a verb?
>
> Sorry for these questions that might sound stupid to most of you,
> but I'm a beginner...
>
> Thanks a lot to all,
>
> Sébastien Louis
> Belgium

Don't worry, nobody is born knowing this stuff, we all had to learn it from
the beginning at
some point.

The word is a participle. You are correct that it comes from BW). The form
is a masculine
plural participle, a form that in this case "nouns" the verb. That's why it
can take the definite
article H at the front, and the YM ending is the masculine plural. Your
rendering is correct:
"these are the names of the sons of Israel, the ones who came to Egypt..."
In English we
make it into a noun with a subordinate clause, "the ones who," whereas
biblical Hebrew just
uses a participle with the appropriate noun affixes.

Hope this helps,

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur