b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qames hatuph - syllable and sheva

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Sébastien Louis <sebalou AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qames hatuph - syllable and sheva
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:16:49 +0100

Sébastien,

As an answer to your question:

1. In a general way, whenever the qamats qatan represents the sound 'o'
--which is usually represented by a holam in the basic word- then the
syllable is read as with vowel 'o'.

There are plenty of examples: find them in Gn 31:42 (1), my poverty; Lv 20:3
(2), my holiness; Pr 5:13 (3), my ear; 1Ch 27:1 (4), the months of the
year.....
The first three have suffix -y (= my); the last is a plural construct.

Similarly we could get a list with suffix -kha (your, of male). If it is of
your interest, ask me for it, please.

(1) For the basic look at Ps 88:10
(2) For the basic look at Ex 3:5
(3) For the basic look at 2Sa 22:45
(4) For the basic look at Nm 9:22

2. But sometimes the qamats (remark: NOT qamats hatuph!) represents the
qamats (and NOT the holam) of the basic. Then the reading 'a' is preserved:
look at Neh 12:22 (5), the Persian (male). Also the noun you provided in
your fist post (*your heart*) fits here.

(5) For the basic look at Dn 11:2

3. There are some especial cases -some exceptions, if you prefer to call
them so- not fitting the precedent but..... maybe it is not time for you
to face them since you're at the first steps of your learning.

If there are some doubts, please, tell us.

Hoping this is helpful,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)