b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Prof. Anson Rainey z"l

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Prof. Anson Rainey z"l
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:58:59 +0200

I am saddened to announce the passing yesterday of my teacher Prof. Anson
Rainey, one of the great scholars of Semitic languages, biblical and ancient
near eastern history and historical geography and archaeology, after a short
struggle with pancreatic cancer. He was 81 years old at his death. For a
full cv please go to the website of Tel-Aviv University,
http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir_anson_rainey.html.
Anson's funeral will be held at the Barkan cemetery today at noon.

May his memory be blessed.

Dr. Yigal Levin

The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

Department of Jewish History

Bar-Ilan University

Ramat Gan. 52900

ISRAEL

<mailto:leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il