b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 16:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 16:12
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:35:47 +0000

I am not sure if Genesis 16:12 can mean Ishmael will be a "red wild ass
(onager)", but it might make sense because they become reddish brown during
the summer which is when they not only fight for the females, but it is the
dry season, so they protect their territiories and food and water supplies.
Maybe Genesis 16:12 specifies that the wild ass is red because that is when
they fought each other. I think it is a wild guess, but interesting to me at
least.

I will consider silence by other people on B-Hebrew as agreement. Just
kidding.

Kenneth Greifer