b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David Toshio Tsumura and II Samuel 7:8-16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David Toshio Tsumura and II Samuel 7:8-16
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:16:55 -0600

Hello Bryant:

That appears to be the generally accepted view:

1. qtl & wayqtl forms instruct the past tense; and

2. yqtl and weqtl encode the future tense.

And indeed your examples so confirm.

But, this author claims numerous exceptions to the rule.

"The four Hebrew conjugations can be distinguished on the basis of
morphology and accent, but this does not prove they are semantically
distinct. According to Furuli, the statistics indicate that the four forms
are not semantically fixed because there is no uniform temporal distribution
for any of them. Each can function in reference to the past, present, and
future, challenging the idea that tense is grammaticalized in classical
Hebrew. For example, by Furuli’s count, 6.9 percent of *wayyiqtol*s have
nonpast reference, and 5.9 percent of *weqatal*s have past reference.
Similarly, 2,505 (18 percent) of *qatal*s have present reference, and 965
(6.9 percent) have future reference.

http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/5564_5860.pdf

and therein lies the rub ....

regards,