b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Article by Andrew Bowling

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Article by Andrew Bowling
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:18:44 -0600

Hello Karl;

If Furuli and you are correct ......; then what is the purpose of yiqtol and
qatal? Why have two verb forms or conjugations, when one will suffice? If
tense and aspect remain the same with the two forms, then why have two,
instead of one?

This reviewer speaks of "precision" as the reason for the two forms; but his
comments do not sound all that persuasive.

http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/5564_5860.pdf

regards,

fred burlingame