b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Are English Bibles in which "Y-a-H-W-e-H occurs 6823 times being truthful?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Are English Bibles in which "Y-a-H-W-e-H occurs 6823 times being truthful?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:19:32 -0800

Dave:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM, David P Donnelly
<davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>wrote:

> The title of this new topic is:
> Are English Bibles in which "Y-a-H-W-e-H occurs 6823 times being
> truthful?

What do you mean by “truthful”?

> I realize that this is probably a very touchy subject.

The reason it is touchy is because it is understood as pushing a
theological, not linguistic, agenda.

> I assume that each and every Hebrew Scholar who posts on b-hebrew
> is aware that in each of the following 4 English Bibles:
>
> E.G.
>
> 1. The Jerusalem Bible
> 2. The New Jerusalem Bible
> 3. The Emphasized Bible
> 4. The NIVIHEOT
>
> The English Spelling Yahweh occurs approximately [if not precisely] 6823
> times.

No, I was not aware of that. I normally don’t look at translations.

> Just what is going on in English Christianity that these four Bibles
> exist,
> and very little controversy surrounds them?

How many people use these translations? It sounds like a small, fringe
element.

> AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Balance? Are you making a mountain out of a molehill?

> Again, I realize that this is probably a very touchy subject.
>
> IS THIS SUBJECT TOO HOT TO DISCUSS OPENLY?

The question is not “too hot to discuss openly?” rather “which is the proper
forum for discussing it?” This is a translation issue, not a question of
Biblical Hebrew.