b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] continuum of dialects

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] continuum of dialects
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:45:13 -0600

Hello Yigal:

Thanks for your informative comments.

I selected 882 b.c., as a random number in the middle of the first temple
period.

Your interesting remarks seem to confirm that the Israel region in 882 b.c.,
enjoyed a continuum of dialects, just like the egyptian region of 1982 a.d.
In the former case, it appears that biblical hebrew language eased into
moabite language in the east; and eased into aramaic language in the north.
What about gaza or canaan language in the west?

I would also contrast (for clarification) the situation in israel 882 b.c.,
with arizona in 1982 a.d. In arizona, the navajo language does not ease into
any of the surrounding european languages. A chasm wide and broad separates
the two sets of languages. An english or spanish speaker encountering navajo
language falls off a figurative cliff of comprehension.That the hebrew
language of 882 b.c., was not unique to the israel region (unlike navajo
language in arizona 1982 a.d,) seems very significant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_language

regards,

fred burlingame