b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hebrew is dead?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hebrew is dead?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 15:50:57 -0800

Fred:

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM, fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Karl:
>
> I am happy to accept whatever the facts are or may be.

Then do so!

> The factual record as we speak today, inclines me to the conclusion
> opposite of yours and the mainstream of academia and elsewhere.

You haven’t provided any facts, only opinions. Further, those opinions are
based on what statisticians call a ‘faulty sample’.

> The third rate greek grammar of the latter one third of this document, and
> its brute resemblance to hebrew sentence word order, was the last straw for
> me; and impelled my conclusion that the document was created in hebrew and
> deliberately translated into poor quality greek as a message marker of its
> original language.

I’ve forgotten what this fallacy is called in logic, but you come to a
conclusion without considering all options. The option recorded in history
is that it was written by people who did not know Greek language that well,
yet wrote in Greek. There is no historical evidence that the New Testament
was written in Hebrew, other than Matthew. Until you find such evidence,
your claim is baseless speculation, not worth the paper it is written on.