b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Christian Use of Targums (Was "cognate alphabet"); Targums Online

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: 'Dewayne Dulaney' <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Christian Use of Targums (Was "cognate alphabet"); Targums Online
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 01:24:27 +0200

Interesting. Targums asside, I've never really understood that passage. I
agree that Qecep must be divine wrath, and that it's aimed at the Israelites.
But why should God be angry at Israel because the king of Moab sacrificed his
son? Conversely, could it be that the Moabite god (Chemosh) is angrey? That
would be strange for the Bible as well.

Yigal Levin