b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 23:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'kenneth greifer'" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 23:3
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 06:33:22 -0400

Hi Kenneth,

It is unusual to me that the verb mashal just about always uses the
preposition B for ruling over. Usually the preposition is optional if the
meaning is clear without it, and I would have expected it to be absent more,
but it is almost always there except for the 2 verses you cite + Is 28:14.

In the case of 2 Sam 23:3, it makes much more sense to mean "ruling in the
fear of God" than "ruling over the fear of God", so to get your meaning, I
think the preposition B would be required. In the 3 verses without B, there
is no other meaning that can be deduced.

Also, I don't think it makes sense to say that a righteous man rules over
the fear of God. There is no other place in the Bible that says that, and I
don't think it is true in experience.

For the 1st part of the verse, I think it makes more sense, and it is much
better writing, for God to tell David that a ruler of men is to be righteous
than for God to say, The Rock of Israel rules over mankind. There would be
no purpose to the word dabar. Is dabar used that way anywhere else?

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus.
His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life. -
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Rock of Israel