b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 1:10 textual variant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Malachi 1:10 textual variant
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:45:08 -0400

Albert,

There is no such animal; it would be huge. The closest we have--outside
of BHS--is the new BHQ, of which 4-5 fascicles are now available. The
expected completion date continues to move into the future, so don't
hold your breath waiting for it. It does include DSS variants, as well
as Syriac, LXX, and Vulgate among others. The drawback is that Syriac is
not in transliteration as it is in BHS, but in the Syriac script,
Nestorian, if I remember correctly (but I might be wrong). And, it is
priced out of the range of the average person. The retails run over
$100/fascicle, although most of the time you can purchase them for
$75.00 or so.

>From personal experience, I can sympathize with you. On more than one
occasion I have had BHS, LXX, and Vulgate texts open in front of me and
seen BHS ignore what I thought were important variants.

James

James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com