b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NGD neged *nagad

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NGD neged *nagad
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:44:05 -0700

Randall:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>wrote:

> >> Let me try to clarify.
>
> Exactly. So why did you object in the first place to the idea that a
> word's meaning should be distinguished from the contexts in which
> it is used?

Because your use of terminology sounded differently than your clarification.
In other words, I did not understand what you meant.

> > Oh, is that the problem? I also defined “intimacy” in the context of this
> > discussion as including even crowd situations but where they are close
> > enough for communications.
>
> Most people would not use English 'initimate' to describe a public
> address to a large crowd. To do so would be called 'special pleading'.
> Why are you trying to introduce the English word 'intimate'?

Which word would you have used?

> > Well, to start out, בלי is not related to בלה, nor is עמדי related to
> עמד,
> > shall I go on?
>
> Yes, you should go on. Are you not aware that words like 'balah' come
> from roots that are final-y.?

Ah, the etymological fallacy. Just because two words are spelled the same
without vowels does not mean that they are from the same root.

> >> Ecc 4.12 ‏
> >> אם־יתקפו האחד השנים יעמדו נגדו
> >> if someone overpower/attack him, the one,
> >> the two will stand against/resist him.
> >
> > If the one makes himself go around in circles, the second will make him
> > stand in his presence.
>
> taqaf תקף 'overpower, be strong against' is a word with a root that refers
> 'strength' and 'validity', not 'going in circles'.

This is a hithpael of NQP נקף. In other words, the idea of running around
like a chicken with its head cut off.

> On the other hand, … I would suggest that they get more
> experience with the language by reading the MT before reading
> unvocalized texts.

That’s exactly what I did, for several times of reading Tanakh through cover
to cover. That’s when I noticed that the points all too often suggest
readings that don’t make sense or don’t fit their contexts, whereas the
unpointed text indicates readings that fit their contexts as well as grammar
and syntax. I eventually stopped using those points as a crutch. I made that
switch years ago.

I would suggest that one read the complete text of Tanakh through, cover to
cover, several times, in order to get familiar with the language. (Sort of
like how bank tellers are taught to recognize counterfeits.)