b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A little test

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A little test
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:21:29 +0300

>> But now, try reading the stream of sounds below when walking, does it now
>> have a rhythm?
>
>Well, sort of - but that's because a) You made from every letter an
>open syllabe (with a vowel or with diphtong); b) most of the letters
>You "vocalized" with the vowel "a".
>
>> Ba ray ah sa yay te ba ray ah eh lo ha ye ma eh ta ha sa ma yi me wa eh ta
>> ha eh re tsa
>> wa ha eh re tse

It does resemble 'pig-Latin' but it is more inconsistent and arbitrary.
"eh re tsa" and "eh re tse" may be attributed to scribal error, but in the MT
there will be thousands of incosistencies because of "plene spelling" that
will ultimately undermine the whole artificial and arbitrary language.
For students, I would tag this
"don't try at home". At least not if you want to internalize BH.

Based on the evaluated, weighed evidence of all sources,
this is not and never was Biblical Hebrew.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org