b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sukkot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "nebarry AT verizon.net" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu, nebarry AT verizon.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sukkot
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:36:34 -0400

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Isaac Fried if AT math.bu.edu
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:29:44 -0400
To: nebarry AT verizon.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

>This redundant "Gemination" does not exist now, and if it is not
currently practiced there is no reason to assume it existed ever
before. Could you explain to me for what purpose did the (Tiberian?)
Hebrew speaker of old double in his mouth a letter written only once?<<

I'll only say at this point that absence of evidence is not evidence of
absence. The fact is that everybody in the universe believes it, starting
with the Masoretes. Unless you can come up with actual evidence, I'll keep
marching with the rest of the lemmings, thank you.

"I don't know but I've been told,
The Ice Age is very cold!"

Barry