b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gemar Hatimah Tovah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Noam Eitan <noameitan AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gemar Hatimah Tovah
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:47:47 -0700 (PDT)

> Everybody in Israel (not physical Galut) is writing g'mar> in their
> personal > emails, as is Arutz 7.  I am sure they are not> pronouncing it
> in their minds > as gEmar.>
> Shoshanna

They are pronouncing it in their minds in stereo as either gEmar or g'mar,
gEmar being a fancy, "formal" form, like you were taught in school and know
how you "should" pronounce it but are too lazy to, g'mar being the more
relaxed, natural form. My late aunt always pronounced all the moving schwas
and I was always impressed. I don't think any young Israelis will be caught
alive pronouncing a moving schwa; it's so uncool. Even when you don't bother
with your moving schwas you know instinctively which ones are resting and
which ones are moving (or even floating) - proof, I suppose, that it ain't no
artificial concept.

Check this:

http://www.pulib.sk/skase/Volumes/JTL04/01.pdf

Noam Eitan,