b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] JPS Daniel 9:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Seth Knorr <sethknorr AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] JPS Daniel 9:27
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:23:48 -0700

I was reading the JPS on Daniel 9:27 which read "And he shall make a firm
covenant"

I was wondering if this is a proper translation, since the word for "make /
cut" (KRT / karath) which is generally present, is not found in the Hebrew.

Ie. Ezekiel 34:25 "And I will make [ KRT / (karath) ] with them a covenant"

In my research of covenants in the bible, it seems like (KRT / karath) is
always there.

I noticed that Christian translations of Daniel 9:27 leave out "make."

With the way it is worded, is it better to translate as strengthening /
confirming a covenant that already exists? Or could it go either way; it may
or may not mean the creation of a new covenant?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Seth Knorr