b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:32:41 -0700 (PDT)

  Hi Jack,

  It is logical to apply to modern scholarly work
the same critical approach that one applies to ancient
texts such as Joshua or other HB books.

   Therefore it may be worthwhile to check other modern
scholarly opinions about the complex issue of dating
the composition of biblicsl books. These are
controversial subjects.

    Even the dating of archaeological strata is
disputed, as we know. For instance, the 10th - 9th
centrury controversy is well known. Cf. the Finkelstein
- Mazar charming dialogue in book form on the matter.

    Of course not everything had been  excavated yet.
Even in Jerusalem suprising findings keep occurring.
I'll only mention one here: the Reich-Shukron discovery
of a bullae hoard which preceded Hezekiah's date by over
a century, and points to wider literacy at a considerably
earlier stage than had  been assumed till then.

   Which leads me to my final point: the literary form
dated by some to the sixth century is polished in
comparison, say, to Mesha. Such literary polish cannot
spring up over night. The presumption that it required
generations to develop can not be far fetched. Thus
valid earlier material may well have been preserved
in these texts, whenever they attained  their final form.

   I suggest, as I said, that other authorities be consulted
on the geography of the Place Names in  Joshua.
Incidentally a moderator of this list
published serious work on  biblical toponyms.

   Best,

   Uri Hurwitz                               Wilmington. VT